MacWorld

Product Cloud

Available for local and destination weddings and portrait sessions.  Each project is different, so contact me for an exact quote.  Portrait sessions start at $300 and wedding coverage begins at $3,000.  Typical wedding fees are about $5,000 - Send an email to me.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Conversation About Flash

I saw this question in a discussion group on the [b] school, today. so I called Ashley -- this is the conversation that we had.

===
Flash is not my friend at the moment and I wondering if anyone has any tips about learning to use flash and making it look good when you have to use it. My problem is underexposure in low light settings. Last time I used it I shot on manual at an ISO 800 (I occasionally used AV), and tried to keep the shutter between 50 - 100. I'm not sure if it's the direction in which I pointed the flash or the fact that the location had high ceilings, but I tried to avoid pointing the flash forward bc I wanted to avoid that look. My husband had the same issues as well! Any suggestions?
-Ashley
===


7 comments:

  1. Fantastic Paul! Keep posting the videos - your explanations are very clear. I was the "aperture controls subject exposure" poster but you explained this WAY better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your help, I am so grateful that you enjoy sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an AWESOME video. Really informative, and it had me wanting to grab my camera right away and start testing your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first video that I saw of yours but I can honestly say that I will certainly look for more. You have a knack for explaining things in the most simplest way. Thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul... How do you overcome the 1/2 or full stop loss with the lightsphere???

    You mention there are many ways and interested because I find that issue also troublesome...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hector -- the easiest way to overcome the loss is to keep the flash on TTL -- iTTL for Nikon or eTTL for Canon. Next be certain that you are using evaluative or matrix metering in your camera.

    If you use Canon, go here: http://photography-solutions.blogspot.com/2008/06/using-canon-flash-system.html

    If you use Nikon, watch this: http://photography-solutions.blogspot.com/2008/06/flash-using-nikon.html

    ReplyDelete