MacWorld

Product Cloud

Available for local and destination weddings and portrait sessions.  Each project is different, so contact me for an exact quote.  Portrait sessions start at $300 and wedding coverage begins at $3,000.  Typical wedding fees are about $5,000 - Send an email to me.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trip To Calico Ghost Town


Yesterday was a great day.  First, it was Veteran's Day (in the US).  My cousin called to wish me happy Veteran's Day - that was kind of cool.  It's not one of the 'major' holidays.   Most people don't get the day off, no one gives gifts.  Well, no one give gifts, except for the vets -- whom give us the most precious gift of all.  THANK YOU.

OK, so a bunch of us -- about 16-17  from the [b] school-- took a trip to Calico.  Calico is a ghost town (except for the park rangers and other people who work there) in the hills near Barstow, CA -- just of I-15 and not far from the I-15 & I-40 junction).  It was a gold mining town in the late 1800s and there are museums, old building and artifacts, and a couple of mines that you can tour - all giving a very real view of what life must have been like in those days.

I took two cameras.  One is my newest -- a Nikon D-700, and the other is my oldest (well, oldest dSLR) - a Nikon D-100 that I have just had converted to IR (infrared) only.  I'll do a whole post on IR, including an interview with Jim Chen - the guy who did the conversion for me, pretty soon, but for today, I just want to share some images with you.











The bottom photo is a collage of IR images.  The three above it are sepia tone conversion, done in Photoshop.  The top image shows some of our group from the [b] school.


4 comments:

  1. Paul,

    I don't know if you got my IM on Skype, but I just want to tell you how grateful I am for all of your support over these years.

    You are our impassioned evangelist and SO many people admire and respect you. This blog is great, as is your informative videos.

    I will never forget you nor will I be a stranger. Hope it goes both ways :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your sepia adjustments. Do you mind me asking how you got it? I've struggled with finding the right recipe for Sepia and just love what you've got here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Gary -- I'm touched. You have been such an inspiration to so many - both in photography and in life -- I truly appreciate your words and your friendship.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael -- I use several techniques. Coincidently, in the Calico photos, I use a Sepia action that is included in Gary Fong's Album Designer. While the Album Designer is a set of actions created to speed up the design of a wedding album, as you can see, many of them have alternate uses. Most allow you to fine tune, or make your own adjustments.

    Thanks for taking the time to comment!!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete